Start Date: December 2011
Completion Date: March 2012
Value range: €20 - €50K
Consultant: Axis Engineering
Main Contractor: Purcell Construction
An Experimental and Innovative school Building employing state of the art building technologies to deliver a low carbon school. It will be the subject of research for the Department of Education and a template for future building Design.
Air Tightness Rating - 0.54M3/Hr/M3@50Pa
- Developing a suitable Interface for Pupil Interaction
- Developing Graphics to explain Building Technologies that were comprehendible by Children
- Providing access to BMS from Classroom Whiteboards
- Integration with HRU Plant
- Integration with Window Vendors
- Co-ordination of Multiple Building technologies into one cohesive Dynamic Building
The purpose of this school was to revolutionise school building design and the most important design feature -The Children! The pupils had to be at the heart of the project in order to educate them on Environmental Awareness and energy conservation in their formative years.
To this end we designed a Bespoke Child friendly touchscreen interface located in the common area of the school. It contained plant explanations, real-time information and energy usage analysis in user friendly manner comprehendible by children. The real success of this project is measured by the fact that the Touchscreen interface is used daily by pupil, teacher and parent alike.
Our next challenge was to build a control strategy to manage the various technologies deployed:
- Control Of LPHW plant including Biomass Generation
- Control Of Heat Recovery Ventilation plant Via Serial Integration
- Controlling space temperature and CO2 Conditions via sequencing of Zone Valves, HRU Plant, Motorised Windows and Rooflights
- In-depth Energy Analysis of Electrical, Heat and Water Metering
- Energy Management Traffic Light System
The Staff and pupils Moved in on 29.3.12 – each bringing something from the old school with them
We are proud to be at the core of this Pioneering Building, the first of its kind in Ireland.