Campus BMS For Mountjoy
St Patrick’s institution
Start Date: 2010
Completion Date: Phase 3 - 2012
Value range: €100K - €500K
Mech Contractor: Misc – LMC/Walsh Mechanical
Consultant: Misc Axis/Ethos/JV Tierney
Main Contractor: Misc – Glenbeigh/LMC/Sisk
BMS Platform: Elesta
- Control Platform selection – Multiple Existing Control Platforms - V - Elesta?
- Working in a Live Prison Environment
- Controls for Specialist Areas - Observation Cells etc.
Dating from 1850 Mountjoy Prison and St Patrick’s Institution are a Prominent Feature of Modern Irish History housing many famous (and infamous) names throughout its history. St Patrick’s was the women’s wing until changed in 1956 to an institute for young offenders.
Due to the longevity of its existence it was inevitable that the prison controls were installed in a piecemeal fashion without a centralised interface. There were many different control systems deployed throughout the campus including the Elesta System installed by McCool Controls.
The initial challenge was to decide the controls platform for the project. Elesta was measured against other systems including current market leaders and was chosen on the following basis:
- BACnet protocol as standard making the system future proof for future High Level campus integration
- Web browser as standard feature of the Elesta RCO View BMS operating software allowing remote access from multiple PCs either on or off campus
- Panel Mounted BMS Graphic User Interface mimicking the Front End Pages allowing User Interaction through a familiar Graphic presentation
- Modbus and MBus protocols as standard making for integration with mechanical plant and metering devices respectively
- Compact yet modular design makes it ideal for retrofitting
The working environment is particularly challenging and it is essential that occupant comfort is maintained at all times. Superior project management and planning is required but it is also crucial to have highly skilled engineers, suitably stocked to deal with any hurdles this centuries old environment can throw at you. McCool Controls are perfectly suited to deliver this prestigious project.
The IPS staff now enjoys a centralised, sleek state of the art BMS interface for the majority of the campus. Further phase are due to be completed in the near future.